Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Cranford Street Landmark

Recently, I saw an old Nash similar to the one in the photo that brought back an old memory. Somewhere along the 6500 block of Cranford Street, there was an old beat-up rusty, turquoise and white two-tone car, which I believe was a Nash. That car sat on the lawn inside a fence in the exact same spot for so long I considered it a landmark. It was there for so many years from perhaps the late 1950's through the entire 1960's decade and beyond Does anyone else remember that car? Was it in fact a Nash? I always wondered why that car was kept there. I also remember a barbershop along Cranford street near the intersection with Magee Street, where I had my haircut several times as a young boy. Anyone remember that? I think there was "Wildroot" sign in the window of that barbershop.

9 comments:

Steve G said...

I no who gave you that haircut at that barbershop, his names was Steve.
I also went to that shop from about 1955 when Andy owned it and he sold it to Steve.
Do you remember Cuckers Luncheonnete at the corner of Magee and Summerdale.
NE class of 63 Steve

Ex-Philly Guy said...

@Steve G: I do remember a luncheonette at Magee & Summerdale... but I never knew its name. Wow, I never expected anyone to know the names of the barbers at that barbershop. Thanks for contributing.

Anonymous said...

The car was not a Nash, they were too big. This was a small car and yes it sat for years. Also in that yard st at times was a blue 1970 Dodge Super Bird. I remember well because they were friends of my mom and were also our mechanic.

Anonymous said...

I am pretty sure it was A Nash sitting in that yard for yrs.

Anonymous said...

I was a Nash. Nash are a very little cars!!!!

Paul Beetham said...

I remember a tiny service station on Martin's mill road Between Oxford and Rising Sun, that always seemed to have one or two of those cars in it's small lot.

Steve Gersovitz said...

How bout the great cheesecake at Country Club Diner on Cottman Ave or the Castor Tyson and Benner theaters on Castor Ave

Stoshman said...

It was a Nash Metropolitan, a small British car imported by Nash. I remember seeing those little two-tone cars from time to time. Even saw a King Midget, a kit car of the 1950's, on Algon one day.

Federalcase88 said...

Definitely a Nash Metropolitan. I own a 1954 Nash Met but single color green convertible. Great little car. 1600cc engine.